Defensible Social Media Collection
Collecting social media data for litigation is not new to the field of law, but how the data is used or presented is ever-changing with few clear standards. The shift in data collection for social media accounts is maturing from screenshots and quoted content to files with metadata and forensically compliant collection methods. As social media approaches a staggering 230 million daily users in the United States, and with internet users spending ¼ of their time on social media sites, shared content is increasing at a rapid pace.
Acquiring data from these accounts presents an opportunity to set new legal precedents:
- Is it reasonable to search and collect all of the available information?
- What information, if collected, is responsive and usable in your case?
- How do we establish a standard of social media evidence in court cases?
Social media itself provides a method for people to stay connected to each other and current events using direct messages, public posts, groups, videos, photos, and articles. The digital content associated with a person’s social media account is accessible with internal search functions, but can be best searched with a tool designed specifically for this purpose. Novara allows you to search an account’s archive. This contains all the information from the beginning of the account to the current day. The results from searching these downloads with Novara include metadata, or proof of authenticity, and meet the standards for defensibility in court. Novara provides the tools to help you find hidden or old posts and much more: old direct messages, posts or comments from blocked users that haven’t been deleted yet, and groups a person may have been in, but are no longer active in.
Consider these options that Novara has to offer when searching:
- Select specific date ranges inside the social media account. Allows you to look at information from the whole history of the account or a specific date range. Ex. Oct. 11 2019, 11 OCT 2019 focusing your search and saving time.
- Select specific posts to search. When searching the account, select what information you want pulled from the search such as: marketplace activity, direct messages, group messages, photos, videos, live streams, and over 80 other data points.
- Collect, tag, and export. Novara’s advanced capabilities allow you to collect data from multiple social media accounts, across multiple platforms, at one time. Then you’re able to select the responsive posts as evidence and export them in an easy-to-view or export format.